ALGINATE FOR HAND AND FOOT CASTING, LIFECASTING AND MANY OTHER MOULDING PROJECTS
Craftmill stocks ALGINART - The Professionals Choice - used throughout the UK for many years by leading casting specialists.
This Chromatic Alginate is available in 450g or 900g bags
- Craftmill's alginate is sealed new and fresh - so it will have a good shelf life of around 2 years before being opened. Made from 99% naturally derived ingredients including seaweed extracts. Originally designed for mouth mouldings, we have re-engineered it to make the perfect external body casting material, capturing every wrinkle and print of the skin.
- Our alginate is used by many pro-handcasting studios throughout the UK. It is 2018 lab tested and compliant with the latest EU Product Safety Directive and USA ASTM- D-4236 for use in hand, foot and external body mouldings
- It is a 'standard set' alginate giving you 2 minutes mixing time and a further 1 minute to setting (total 3 min.). Some brands only give you half this mixing time. The mixing time of Alginart allows you to work properly with the product, getting a smooth mix without the need to panic, but doesn't keep little ones waiting too long.
- Our Alginate is supplied with a very valuable help sheet. Follow mixing, measuring and temperature advice carefully for best results!
- Alginate is ideal for art and craft projects, life/external body casting, adult or baby hand or foot casting or craft workshops. This material is designed to make mouldings of external body parts or for fine art sculptures.
- We have no reported allergies from any users of our alginate since we started selling it over 5 years ago. However DO NOT use on broken or irritated skin and if concerned about sensitivity, mix a teaspoon of alginate and put the gel on the back of the models hand to conduct a skin patch test before plunging the full hand/foot into the mix.
- Although not a toy, we know the alginate is sometimes used with children. For your information, it has passed the EN71-3 toy safety test to ensure it does not contain any heavy metals
- Alginate is chromatic - it changes colour as you work with it telling you which stage of the process you are at.
- We recommend it is always used under close adult supervision - keep raw powder out of reach of children. It is designed to be mixed by adults.
Important Product Hints and General Safety Advice
Hints and tips
- What you will need :- simply a knife or metal spoon for mixing plus a hand blender to get a really smooth mix; a plastic container/tub just a little bigger than the hand/foot you want to mould; water; plaster
- Remember the Alginate is for making the mould only. After making the mould, you then need to make a casting by pouring casting plaster into your mould. See our 1kg or 3kg pack of Fine Casting Plaster which is ideal for the job. 1kg of plaster is more than enough to go with a 450g pack of Alginate.
- How much alginate ? 450g of alginate will make several newborn hand/foot casts (use 100g for each) or it will make a childs hand cast; 900g is needed for one adult hand/foot or a couple holding hands; 1800g is needed for a 4 person hand cast. To be certain of quantity, find the container you want to use - it should just a little bigger than the hand/foot you are putting in it so it does not touch the sides, but not too large; measure how many ml of water will fill the container to the height you want it to be, then divide that number of ml by 3 to get the number of grams of alginate you need
- After making the casting let it dry thoroughly (at least 1-2 weeks) and if desired then paint in gold, copper or silver - our acrylic hobby paints come in a vast range of shades. Finally you can varnish your finished product if necessary using one of our craft varnishes.Remember all our casting and moulding products come with full easy-to-follow instructions to give you confidence.
- Bathroom sealant is the best medium to stick your cast to a frame or plinth
Important safety advice
- If you use any of our powdered casting and moulding products regularly in your work (rather than a one-off use), please use common sense - ensure you wear a suitable dust face mask for mixing as these powders are designed to set firm on contact with moisture so you must take careful precautions to avoid inhaling them into your lungs. Alginart is engineered to be a very low dust product, but its important to avoid generating dust - don't work in front of a fan or whisk carelessly or in quantities that are not manageable safely. Avoid contact with eyes as could irritate. Wear goggles for mixing if you are a regular user to help prevent eye irritation.
2 Pack Sizes
Choose the number of packs you require in the table below. CHECK OUR PRICE PER BAG - THE MORE YOU BUY THE MORE YOU SAVE!